Friday, June 24, 2011

What is your motivation to volunteer?

This week one of my fellow team members wrote a great blog on what motivates him to volunteer: http://community.sagenonprofit.com/blog/sagenonprofit/motivations-volunteering. I always find it interesting to learn more about what motivates people, so I challenged the entire senior team to share. As such, here is mine.

I have volunteered with or supported a nonprofit for as long as I can remember. I am typically a supporter for social service causes. I think my passion for those causes comes from growing up in a home with many financial struggles. (Although, I really didn't know it at the time...I like Ramen Noodles).

Needless to say, my most recent cause is Support Behind the Badge. The organization is a small start-up that myself and two other women joined forces to bring to Cedar Park.

My husband is a police officer and last year, his department was devastated by the loss of a fellow officer.

Reed remembered as officer, mentor: kxan.com

At the funeral my heart went out to Officer Reeds family, and we decided that we wanted to do more to strengthen the bond between the families and friends of the department. And, we wanted to memorialize Officer Reed in a way that was fitting. We decided to start with a scholarship because Officer Reed was very committed to the children of our community and their futures.

Since October, we have held several events and are very near establishing the scholarship. It is exciting to be a part of something that we know is going to have an impact on the community for years to come.

Take-away: "For it is in giving that we receive." St. Fancis

No comments:

Post a Comment