Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I want an ipad--lessons for nonprofits!

I want an Ipad!

I am 100% sure I don't need one. I am not sure if I will know how to use it, will find it valuable, or create new efficiencies as a result of owning it, but I want an Ipad!

And, I am not alone. In a little over a year, Apple's Ipad has more than 15 million customers. So, what can we all learn from it? A lot!

Here are three great tips we can all learn from Apple Ipad's tremendous success.

1. We need to be cool! Ipads are undeniably the must have gadget of the "cool". We need to make sure that our organizations are also appealing in those same ways. Take a look at www.charitywater.org if you are not sure what a "cool" nonprofit looks like.

2. We need to be fun! For some of you, that is a challenge based on your cause, but for some of you there is a real opportunity. Think about creating an app that you could sell for donations or a web game that might go viral. The Ipad is used about 1/3 of the time for games...take advantage of that market to increase awareness of your organization.

3. We need to Share! The Ipad makes it easy to share information. You should do the same for your organization. Use share widgets like the ones available in Sage Fundraising Online. Share information about your organization on the web, at events, in social media, and everywhere you can. Most importantly, make it easy for others to do the same.

Take-away: Be the Ipad, and if you have an extra, please feel free to send it my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment